2020 Best Online MBA Programs in
California has a large and diverse economy that includes top tech giants, the film industry, and agriculture and manufacturing sectors. A skilled workforce has been a significant contributing factor to the state’s strong economy, and projections show the demand for highly educated workers will continue. Our list of the best online MBA programs in California was determined by evaluating alumni employment data. Programs were ranked by the percentage of alumni that hold executive-level positions.
MBA Jobs in
With its diverse industry base, highly educated workforce, and rich innovation economy, California is an ideal destination with jobs for MBA graduates. California’s GDP is the highest in the country at approximately $2.7 trillion, which is also the fifth largest in the world after the United States, China, Japan, and Germany. Highlights of the state’s economy include its robust technology sector in Northern California, thriving entertainment industry in Southern California, and vast agricultural commerce in its center. The state’s technology presence, skilled workforce, and culture of innovation are unmatched in other economies throughout the country.
California had 54 companies on the Fortune 500 list of America’s largest corporations in 2019, including a dozen household names: Apple, Walt Disney, Facebook, Tesla, Visa, Gap, Netflix, Charles Schwab, eBay, Clorox, Levi-Strauss, and William Sonoma. All these corporations have a need for bright and articulate MBA graduates who have strong analytical skills as well as soft skills in areas such as leadership, management, strategic vision, and project execution.
MBA Job Growth
The California Employment Development Department includes several MBA jobs in its list of occupations with the most openings between 2016-2026. For example, there are projected to be 30,800 openings for general and operations managers; 17,700 for accountants and auditors; 27,000 for marketing analysts and specialists; 16,800 for management analysts; and 16,000 for financial managers. California MBA graduates can also investigate career opportunities in areas such as strategic planning, public and investor relations, human resources, logistics management, and compensation and benefits.
Those seeking MBA careers as entrepreneurs will find abundant resources in the state for support and assistance. The Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development website is a great place to learn more about opportunities within California’s innovation economy.
California MBA Salaries
The average MBA salary in California is approximately $83,000 per year, just in line with the national average of $83,000. California’s cost of living is ten percent above the national average, however, which makes the cost of necessities like housing and transportation less affordable than in other areas of the U.S.
Although California’s MBA salaries are about average when compared to other states, Zippia.com reports many typical MBA career paths that boast annual salaries well over $125,000. This list of well-paid occupations in California includes company executives, financial managers, sales managers, marketing managers, compensation and benefits managers, advertising and promotions managers, human resources managers, purchasing managers, and general managers.
- Evans, P. (2019). 16 Mind-Blowing Facts about California’s Economy. [online] Business Insider. Available at: https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/california-economy-16-mind-blowing-facts-2019-4-1028142608#california-would-be-the-fifth-largest-economy-in-the-world1 [Accessed 10 Oct. 2019].
- California is Now the Nation’s Fifth Largest Economy Surpassing the United Kingdom (2018). Available at: https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-california-economy-gdp-20180504-story.html [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Fortune 500 (2019). Available at: https://fortune.com/fortune500/2019/search/?hqstate=ca [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- California Economic Development Department website. Available at: https://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/data/employment-projections.html [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development website. Available at: http://business.ca.gov/Programs/Innovation [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- MBA Salary in California (2019). Available at: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/How-Much-Does-a-MBA-Make-a-Year--in-California [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Cost of Living in California. Available at: https://www.cityrating.com/cost-of-living/california/ [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Kolmar, C. These Are the 10 Highest-Paying Jobs in California. Available at: https://www.zippia.com/advice/highest-paying-jobs-in-california/ [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].