2020 Best Online MBA Programs in
Maryland's numerous public and private sector companies, growing economy, and favorable business climate help to create an optimal environment for MBA graduates seeking employment. Our rankings of Maryland’s best online MBA programs were based upon the percentage of graduates who have secured executive-level positions.
MBA Jobs in
Home of the Chesapeake Bay and a bountiful seafood industry, Maryland offers MBA graduates steady job growth, a booming economy, and career opportunities in the public and private sectors. Considered one of the best state economies in the U.S., Maryland employs the largest number of federal workers of any state and is home to more than 60 federal agencies, making it an ideal place for graduates seeking MBA jobs with the federal government. Those seeking a private-sector career might want to consider jobs for MBA graduates in this Mid-Atlantic state’s top industries: bio-health and life science, information technology and cybersecurity, advanced manufacturing, aerospace and defense, and financial services.
Maryland’s annual median household income is roughly $80,776 — that’s 25.3 percent higher than the national average. In Maryland, an MBA salary brings in roughly 5.7 percent more than the state’s median income, with an average MBA salary of approximately $85,401 annually. Those seeking a lucrative MBA salary in Maryland may want to consider management positions at a private company in Baltimore, where an MBA graduate generally earns around $84,800 per year. Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Hyattsville would better suit those wishing to live near Washington, D.C.
To launch an MBA career, many look to Maryland’s largest employers, including:
- Marriott International: Headquartered in Bethesda, this global hotel chain has a workforce of 226,500 employees worldwide.
- Lockheed Martin: Headquartered in Bethesda, this global aerospace, defense, security, and advanced technologies corporation has a workforce of 97,000 employees.
- U.S. Social Security Administration: Located in Baltimore, this federal government agency has more than 39,100 employees around the U.S.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine: Headquartered in Baltimore, this academic medical teaching and research arm of Johns Hopkins University has more than 28,000 employees.
- Giant Food of Maryland LLC: Headquartered in Landover with around 22,000 employees, this supermarket chain services Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Washington, D.C.
Those looking to enroll in an affordable MBA program that’s based in Maryland should consider one hosted by an accredited business school to ensure top quality. A Maryland-based business school gives students an opportunity to land an internship or a full-time job with area companies that are looking for local talent.
- Most Educated States 2019. Available at: http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/most-educated-states/ [Accessed 28 Oct. 2019].
- Comen, E. (2019). The states with the best and worst economies. [online] USA Today. Available at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/06/jobs-gdp-unemployment-states-with-best-worst-economies/39651531/ [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- Strategic Location. [online] Maryland.gov: Open for Business. Available at: https://open.maryland.gov/why-maryland/our-strategic-location/ [Accessed 30 Aug. 2019].
- Median Household Income (in 2017 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars). [online] American FactFinder: U.S. Census Bureau. Available online: https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_07_1YR_GCT1901.US13PR&prodType=table [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- MBA Salary in Baltimore, MD. [online] ZipRecruiter. Available at: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/How-Much-Does-a-MBA-Make-a-Year-in-Baltimore,MD [Accessed 30 Aug. 2019].
- Colmar, C. (2019). The 100 Largest Companies in Maryland in 2019. [online] Zippia: The Career Expert. Available at: https://www.zippia.com/advice/largest-companies-in-maryland/ [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- Online MBA. [online] University of Maryland, College Park. Available at: https://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/office-career-services/students/online-mba [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019]
- Master of Business Administration – MBA Online. [online] Frostburg State University. Available at: https://www.frostburg.edu/academics/majorminors/graduate/ms-business-admin/index.php [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- Master of Business Administration. [online] Salisbury University. Available at: https://www.salisbury.edu/academic-offices/business/mba/ [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- The University of Baltimore Online MBA – Powerful, Flexible and Designed by You. [online] University of Baltimore. Available at: http://www.ubalt.edu/merrick/graduate-programs/online-mba/ [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- Hoppock, D.J. (2019). What is the Average Salary for an MBA Graduate? [online] Investopedia. Available at: https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/031215/what-average-salary-mba-graduate.asp [Accessed 18 Aug. 2019].
- Top Employers. [online] Baltimore County Government. Available at: https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/economicdev/meet-baltimore-county/stats-and-figures/top-employers.html [Accessed 18 Aug. 2019].
- Top States 2019: Overall Ranking – 31. Maryland. [online] CNBC. Available at: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/09/top-states-for-business-maryland.html [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].
- Rankings and Statistics. [online] Maryland Department of Commerce. Available at: http://commerce.maryland.gov/about/rankings-and-statistics [Accessed 19 Aug. 2019].