2020 Best Online MBA Programs in
The state of Michigan has undergone a decade of steady economic recovery since the Great Recession. While auto manufacturers remain the state’s largest employers, there is a healthy mix of other growing industries, including financial services, healthcare, and other manufacturing. The growth has spurred the demand for MBA graduates to fill executive and managerial positions. Online MBA programs can help professionals earn their degrees while working. We ranked our list of best MBA programs in Michigan according to the percentage of each school’s alumni with an executive job title.
MBA Jobs in
MBA graduates seeking job opportunities in Michigan will have many industries to consider. Not only is Michigan rich in natural beauty — four of the five Great Lakes are in Michigan — but its cultural amenities, educational institutions, and robust manufacturing sectors make it a great place to excel in multiple career paths.
Many people associate Michigan first and foremost with the automotive industry — and for good reason. Its two largest employers are General Motors and Ford Motor Company, according to Zippia.com; and Enstrom Helicopter and Lear Corporation, which manufactures car components, are fourth and fifth on the list, respectively. The remaining companies in the top ten list of Michigan’s largest employers are Whirlpool, Meijer, Dow, Federal-Mogul Holdings, Kellogg, and Stryker — which represent the appliance, food, retail, medical, chemicals, and auto parts industries. The rest of the top 100 companies include a diverse mix of healthcare, financial services, manufacturing, and higher education.
Michigan is also home to an active start-up and innovation and technology scene, developing companies offering MBA jobs to those wishing to be part of the small-business community.
Employers in Michigan are seeking out MBA graduates with strong business skills. A couple of cities that are particularly well-suited to graduates looking for MBA jobs are Kentwood and Wyoming. With a population of 48,877, Kentwood's future job growth is projected to be 45.50% and its unemployment rate is 4.40%. Wyoming has an even larger population of 72,408, with a projected job growth rate of 44.80% and an unemployment rate of 5.10%.
MBA Career Paths
The Michigan Department of Technology, Management and Budget published a “Hot 50” list of high-demand, high-wage jobs through the year 2026. Many of these career paths are projected to have over 1,000 job openings annually in Michigan that are suitable for MBA graduates, including accountants and auditors, financial managers, general and operations managers, human resource specialists, insurance agents, market research professionals, marketing managers, and sales personnel.
The average salary for MBA graduates nationwide is approximately $83,000 per year. Michigan clocks in at just $72,000 per year, but the cost of living in Michigan is also below the national average, which helps keep necessities like housing, food, and automobiles affordable for the average family.
- VanHulle, L., and Wilkinson, M. (2019). After 10 Years of Steady Growth, Michigan’s Economy Faces Headwinds. [online] Business Leaders for Michigan. Available at: https://businessleadersformichigan.com/after-10-years-of-steady-growth-michigans-economy-faces-headwinds/ [Accessed 11 Oct. 2019].
- Kolmar, C. (2019). These Are the 100 Highest-Paying Jobs in Michigan in 2019. https://www.zippia.com/advice/highest-paying-jobs-in-michigan/ [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- MBA Annual Salary in Massachusetts. 2019. https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/How-Much-Does-a-MBA-Make-a-Year--in-Massachusetts? [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Kolmar, C. (2016). These are the 10 Best Places in Michigan to Get a Job. https://www.zippia.com/advice/best-places-in-michigan-to-get-a-job/. [Accessed 17 Sept. 2019].
- Abunassar, N. (2019). Michigan Proactively Invests in High-Tech, Manufacturing Talent of the Future. https://www.michiganbusiness.org/news/2019/08/michigan-proactively-invests-in-high-tech-manufacturing-talent-of-the-future/ [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Michigan’s Hot 50: Michigan’s High-Demand High-Wage Careers. https://milmi.org/Portals/198/publications/Hot_50_Brochure_2026.pdf?ver=2018-10-30-084757-123 [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- MBA Salary in Michigan. https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/How-Much-Does-a-MBA-Make-a-Year--in-Michigan. [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].
- Cost of Living in Michigan (MI). https://www.cityrating.com/cost-of-living/michigan/. [Accessed 1 Sept. 2019].